One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant of the dock family, typically having slender leaves and a short spike of tiny compact flowers.
Genus Polygonum, family Polygonaceae: several species
- ‘Weeds not well-controlled by other herbicides include marestail, prickly lettuce, mustards, giant ragweed, Pennsylvania smartweed, and dandelion.’
- ‘It also controls certain broadleaf weeds, including Powell amaranth, jimsonweed, annual morningglory, redroot pigweed, Pennsylvania smartweed, common sunflower and wild mustard.’
- ‘Cloudberry leaves, bearberry leaves, and alpine smartweed were used for general stomach-aches and kidney problems.’
- ‘Higher rates of herbicide will be needed to control species such as ivy-leaf morning-glory, sweet clover, field bindweed, Venice mellow and various smartweeds (lady's thumb, Pennsylvania smartweed, wild buckwheat, etc).’
- ‘Densely populated stands with mixtures of various shades of green and brown, however, had similar reflectance to that of alligator-weed, arrowhead, and smartweed.’
- ‘The list of weed species includes: morninglory, bindweed, buckwheat, Pennsylvania smartweed, Venice mallow, sweet clover, velvetleaf, lamb's quarters, and nightshade.’
- ‘A mixture of glyphosate plus an herbicide will improve control of prickly lettuce, dandelion, marestail, giant and common ragweed, Pennsylvania smartweed, velvetleaf, mustard species, and other broadleaf weeds.’
- ‘I eyed the expanse of flooded smartweed fringing the shore.’
- ‘A few rods further on the field dipped into a low area and I went through a small patch of green smartweed.’
- ‘A year with extremely low precipitation may allow them to compete much better than species such as Pennsylvania smartweed.’
- ‘The product is labeled for application with other corn herbicides to improve residual control of broadleaf weeds, including lambsquarters, pigweed, common ragweed, Pennsylvania smartweed, and velvetleaf.’
- ‘It may not control smartweed, giant ragweed, and fall panicum that are more than 4 to 6 inches tall.’
- ‘A little farther, I went into a low area and through a patch of green smartweed.’
- ‘The eggs hatch about the time that small smartweed plants begin to grow in the spring.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.