One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mobile phone that performs many of the functions of a computer, typically having a touchscreen interface, Internet access, and an operating system capable of running downloaded applications.
- ‘With smartphones equipped with megapixel cameras due later this year, that generate ever larger images, this will become even more expensive.’
- ‘Now smartphones and wireless PDAs are creating new applications, as they become slim mobile clients.’
- ‘Visit our mobile store for the best value PDAs, smartphones and accessories’
- ‘Buy PDAs, smartphones and accessories from our mobile store’
- ‘Despite this scepticism about mobile apps there's better news for makers of smartphones and PDAs from the survey.’
- ‘Some argue that 3G itself is a form of FMC, as are IP-enabled smartphones that can download applications.’
- ‘It's not an operating system for smartphones - more a smart system for operating phones.’
- ‘But at just 1.7 per cent of the handset market, smartphones remain a minority interest among mobile phone users.’
- ‘Despite all the anxiety and industry noise surrounding the choice of operating systems for smartphones, the final arbiter is user experience.’
- ‘Still, as more handsets invariably take on PDA functionality, it's hard to see PDAs out-selling smartphones for very much longer.’
- ‘The new strategy reverses their plans, announced in July, to launch a smartphone.’
- ‘The most obvious option - the acquisition of a proven smartphone operating system and hardware design team - doesn't exist.’
- ‘So, are we about to see a blanket ban on smartphones, and on notebook computers, in the air?’
- ‘As smartphones and wireless-enabled PDAs evolve, business users can conceivably replace their personal computers.’
- ‘Both PDAs and smartphones are personal devices that offer a natural home for your address book.’
- ‘Your view to this, about PDAs and smartphones being the same thing, except for connectivity, is interesting.’
- ‘Currently, Wi-Fi is mainly available in laptops, smartphones and as part of a broadband home gateway, all devices that are priced at several hundred dollars or more.’
- ‘The other factor that will be important in achieving a broader market for smartphones will be the operating system.’
- ‘One thing's for sure, those wanting to access corporate data on the move can now choose from a variety of solutions from smartphones to lug-able laptops.’
- ‘However, PDAs will face increasing competition from smartphones and other converged multimedia devices offering similar functionalities over the forecast period.’
1980s (first referring to a telephone enhanced with computer technology): from smart and phone.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.