One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A radio-controlled or laser-guided bomb, often with a built-in computer.
- ‘It alone - allied with the working people internationally - has a potential power greater than that of the ruling elite with its smart bombs and cruise missiles.’
- ‘Science has given us smart bombs, the Atom bomb, GM foods and models with breasts that are just impossible.’
- ‘Doing so is even more important than building all the smart bombs and cruise missiles we need, because not only will this war be entirely new, it will also be insanely complicated.’
- ‘In the past few years, smart bombs and cruise missiles have become vastly more accurate, due to the use of Global Positioning Satellites to guide the weapons to their targets.’
- ‘One is left with the impression that these were car bombs, not smart bombs.’
- ‘These aircraft flew 20,753 combat sorties and used 18,467 smart bombs and missiles and 9,251 dumb bombs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.