One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See smart aleck
- ‘I soon regretted it, however, as what my grandfather would have called ‘a smart-alecky stunt’ and I was relieved when the tape was returned.’
- ‘At first he seemed a vain, smart-alecky Pommie academic, who'd never run a business himself, and was a bit chip-on-the-shoulder about the private sector.’
- ‘Yup, you guessed it; some smart-alecky student thought it would be funny to hide the corpse in Guber's office closet.’
- ‘I'm more familiar with the extroverted, smart-alecky Spider Man than the shy, introverted Peter Parker.’
- ‘I'm not being smart-alecky here, but showing up is the roughest part.’
- ‘It's all very well being smart-alecky about Burns living in an attic but, in this day and age, there's no patronage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.