Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An acute contagious viral disease, with fever and pustules usually leaving permanent scars. It was effectively eradicated through vaccination by 1979.Also called variola
- ‘The most likely diagnosis was thought to be a severe viral infection - but not smallpox.’
- ‘The process induced cowpox, a mild viral disease that conferred immunity to smallpox.’
- ‘Animal research has led to vaccines for rabies, smallpox, rubella, measles and anthrax.’
- ‘Hahnemann, the founder of homoeopathy, was a supporter of smallpox vaccination.’
- ‘This has been illustrated by the elimination of other viral infections such as smallpox.’
- ‘Terrorists can bring back diseases like smallpox and they can even create their own.’
- ‘He seems to suffer from the impression that the vaccine is just as contagious as smallpox.’
- ‘Anthrax just isn't the public health disaster that smallpox has the potential to be.’
- ‘Polio will be the second disease after smallpox to be eradicated.’
- ‘Of the biological weapons, anthrax and smallpox are the most feared.’
- ‘Both anthrax and smallpox vaccines have been in use for a long time, but there are few other similarities between them.’
- ‘There now seems a real prospect that, like smallpox, polio may be eradicated entirely from the world.’
- ‘Although thousands of Barbadians died from yellow fever and smallpox, Quakers were particularly hard hit.’
- ‘Who knew until it was too late that the blankets were ridden with smallpox and other communicable diseases!’
- ‘There have been few articles on the risks of smallpox or of the vaccine in the popular media.’
- ‘Malnutrition was rife, as were diseases such as tuberculosis and smallpox.’
- ‘Disease was rampant and smallpox, typhus, typhoid and dysentery made death familiar.’
- ‘As a naturally occurring disease smallpox is potent and as a weapon of biological warfare it is terrifying.’
- ‘It is possible that one or both of these pandemics were due to smallpox, or even measles.’
- ‘For 130 years or more after Jenner introduced a vaccine for smallpox this was the only vaccine in general use.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.