Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The smallmouth bass.See black bass
- ‘Records are not clear as to whether the second aquarium car brought largemouth or smallmouth black bass to California.’
- ‘Though many black bass varieties are of local importance, only the largemouth, smallmouth, and striped bass retain a true commercial value.’
- ‘Shiner surfperch have a strongly compressed, elongate, rather deep body, an upward slanting smallmouth, relatively large eyes, and a single continuous dorsal fin with slightly longer spines than the soft rays.’
- ‘Duane Dostie sends a photo of his personal best smallmouth.’
- ‘Duke also points out that freshwater black bass, the familiar largemouth and smallmouth, are found in 49 of the 50 states.’
- ‘These pools as well as the deeper water areas of the sedge meadow provide breeding habitat for chorus frogs, spring peepers, and smallmouth.’
- ‘The streams and rivers offer excellent fly fishing for trout and bass; hook a smallmouth on a six weight rod and you're having fun.’
- ‘The upper jaw extends past the golden eye and in smallmouth this is not true.’
- ‘It was a tough trip, but the fishing was outstanding - smallmouths to 3 pounds, largemouths and lots of sunfish.’
- ‘My neighbor Cory and I had spent the afternoon fishing for smallmouth on the Mississippi River.’
- ‘Still, the exact cause of the sex-changed South Branch smallmouths remains unclear.’
- ‘However, with the coloration they've given him, he could be a smallmouth, too.’
- ‘An important sport fish throughout its range, the smallmouth is almost as popular as the largemouth bass.’
- ‘Trout tactics, such as nymphing, swinging streamers and even dry flies, will take feisty smallmouths.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.