One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lowercase letter, as distinct from a capital letter.
- ‘Capital letters and small letters indicate exon and intron sequences, respectively.’
- ‘The written and printed form of English has two interlocking systems of letters: large letters, known variously as capitals, upper-case letters, majuscules, and small letters, or lower-case letters, minuscules.’
- ‘Everybody worries about that just now - they worry about punctuation and capitals and small letters and what history is.’
- ‘With your black marker, fill up the space with lines, polka dots, even small letters and numbers.’
- ‘The blocks are wrapped in white, and they say, ‘LARD'. And in small letters, ‘suitable for various uses.’’
- ‘Although letter detection in general seemed to be better for capitalized letters, we observed also a typical missing-letter effect at the beginning of a sentence in the distorted version, in which all words began with small letters.’
- ‘If you're using the term to refer to someone in terms of the religious group to which he or she belongs, then you still use the same spoken word - but it's written with a small letter.’
- ‘The contraries may be represented by not-A, not-B, &c., but I shall usually prefer to denote them by the small letters a, b, &c.’
- ‘Or did they miss the English lesson where the teacher tells you not to put capitals and small letters in the middle of the same word.’
- ‘The second rule: you should use a mix of at least three of these four things: small letters, capital letters, numbers, and symbols.’
- ‘Capital letters in the primers represent one sequence, while small letters represent another.’
- ‘He's got the shoes-without-socks look just right and similarly, his monogrammed shirt - ‘DJ’ is stitched in small letters on the left collar - should be poncy but isn't.’
- ‘The object, flying at a height of 7 kilometers, looked like a small letter L without the loop.’
- ‘There is also no differentiation between capital letters and small letters in Tamil.’
- ‘Your password is the small letter a as in apple, a capital letter V as in Victor, the number 7.’
- ‘Create two slideshows, one consisting of the small letters of the alphabet, one in capitals.’
- ‘The study of alphabet, all in small letters, is started in a simple way, says Sunitha Gupta, the Headmistress.’
- ‘For example, at the start of the game, both Kings are on the same file. Files are lettered with small letters: a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h.’
- ‘The translated regions are in small letters and the start codon and the stop codons are in boldface and underlined.’
- ‘Like the government's horses, the bison received a ‘U.S.’ brand on the left hip in large letters and one on the horns in small letters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.