Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The part of the intestine that runs between the stomach and the large intestine; the duodenum, jejunum, and ileum collectively.
gut, guts, entrails, visceraView synonyms
- ‘In the United States, there's a great shortage of donor organs: hearts, livers, lungs, kidneys, pancreases and small intestines.’
- ‘Muscle phosphocreatine, an energy storage molecule, is formed in a series of steps involving the pancreas, kidneys, small intestines, and the liver.’
- ‘This type of peptic ulcer develops in the first part of the small intestine (duodenum).’
- ‘When the food moved from the stomach into the small intestine it triggered an allergic reaction.’
- ‘If the blood flow to your small intestine or colon is reduced, you may develop intestinal ischemia.’
- ‘This can be accomplished by surgically making a direct connection from the stomach to a lower segment of the small intestines and bypassing the duodenum and some of the jejunum.’
- ‘Why can't you use the small intestines or the pituitary gland?’
- ‘The compounds seemed to hit an unknown target in the small intestine that helped transport dietary cholesterol.’
- ‘Manometry may also be used to measure pressures in your stomach, small intestine and rectum.’
- ‘These plant-derived, non-digestible sugars pass through the stomach and small intestines to the colon, where the good bacteria ferment them for fuel.’
- ‘The flow of secretions from your stomach, liver, pancreas and small intestine may decrease.’
- ‘It is stored and concentrated in the gall bladder and passed into the small intestine through the bile ducts to help with digestion, mainly of fats.’
- ‘Cancer takes rulership of the stomach, although Virgo has some significance here, and resumes the major rulership over the organs that lie below the stomach, including the belly, bowels, and small intestines.’
- ‘Infection by one type of roundworm, known as a hookworm, can cause problems in your small intestine or lungs.’
- ‘In the various sections of the small intestine, the jejunum was the most common area of wall thickening.’
- ‘The latter might be a confusion with ileum, the third portion of the small intestine.’
- ‘The part of the small intestines used for the feeding is called the jejunum.’
- ‘In the small intestine, the digestion of food, which begins in the mouth and stomach, is completed.’
- ‘Coins that reach the stomach and small intestines usually pass uneventfully.’
- ‘Cancer of the small intestine, esophagus and pharynx is associated with celiac disease.’
small intestine/smôl inˈtestən/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.