One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Portable firearms, especially rifles, pistols, and light machine guns.
- ‘We were also under heavy fire from mortars and small arms.’
- ‘The passenger acts as the shooter and has used weapons such as grenades, RPGs and small arms.’
- ‘He said that there had been no discernible decline in sporadic artillery shelling or small arms fire.’
- ‘At first, it was just small arms but the big guns and mortars started shooting as the afternoon wore on.’
- ‘They were equipped with only small arms; no match for the convoy's recoiless rifle and heavy machine guns.’
- ‘It will address the increasing threat to human security from the spread of small arms, light weapons and their illegal trade.’
- ‘The enemy met descending paratroopers with heavy small arms and machinegun fire.’
- ‘Warfare is the next step with the powers of hot gas being harnessed to fire projectiles from cannons or small arms.’
- ‘These small arms also hindered the fast clearing of fields of fire in thick vegetation.’
- ‘The Russian armies, like all the others, rapidly ran out of ammunition - and not only ammunition but guns and even small arms.’
- ‘The campaign aims to raise awareness that there are currently around 639 million small arms and light weapons in the world today.’
- ‘Insurgents opened fire from all around with small arms and rocket-propelled grenades.’
- ‘I examined the assortment of small arms, grenades and bayonets used in hand-to-hand encounters.’
- ‘This specialisation included small arms and light weapons, armoured vehicles, and electronics.’
- ‘He then dashed through a hail of small arms and exploding hand grenades to abort a breach of the main gate.’
- ‘Helicopter crews drew almost continuous fire from small arms and rocket-propelled grenades.’
- ‘Rosenthal will show the latest in rifles, small arms and ammunition and there will even be an exhibition of live stud animals.’
- ‘The illegal trade in small arms and light weapons has been identified by the UN as one of the world's greatest challenges.’
- ‘They were well equipped with Russian small arms, artillery, armor, and fighter planes.’
- ‘One army patrol opened fire with small arms and machine guns, forcing the rebels to flee toward the second.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.