One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Portable firearms, especially rifles, pistols, and light machine guns.
- ‘The Russian armies, like all the others, rapidly ran out of ammunition - and not only ammunition but guns and even small arms.’
- ‘These small arms also hindered the fast clearing of fields of fire in thick vegetation.’
- ‘I examined the assortment of small arms, grenades and bayonets used in hand-to-hand encounters.’
- ‘Insurgents opened fire from all around with small arms and rocket-propelled grenades.’
- ‘He then dashed through a hail of small arms and exploding hand grenades to abort a breach of the main gate.’
- ‘The enemy met descending paratroopers with heavy small arms and machinegun fire.’
- ‘One army patrol opened fire with small arms and machine guns, forcing the rebels to flee toward the second.’
- ‘Warfare is the next step with the powers of hot gas being harnessed to fire projectiles from cannons or small arms.’
- ‘The passenger acts as the shooter and has used weapons such as grenades, RPGs and small arms.’
- ‘The campaign aims to raise awareness that there are currently around 639 million small arms and light weapons in the world today.’
- ‘It will address the increasing threat to human security from the spread of small arms, light weapons and their illegal trade.’
- ‘The illegal trade in small arms and light weapons has been identified by the UN as one of the world's greatest challenges.’
- ‘We were also under heavy fire from mortars and small arms.’
- ‘They were equipped with only small arms; no match for the convoy's recoiless rifle and heavy machine guns.’
- ‘At first, it was just small arms but the big guns and mortars started shooting as the afternoon wore on.’
- ‘Helicopter crews drew almost continuous fire from small arms and rocket-propelled grenades.’
- ‘This specialisation included small arms and light weapons, armoured vehicles, and electronics.’
- ‘Rosenthal will show the latest in rifles, small arms and ammunition and there will even be an exhibition of live stud animals.’
- ‘He said that there had been no discernible decline in sporadic artillery shelling or small arms fire.’
- ‘They were well equipped with Russian small arms, artillery, armor, and fighter planes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.