One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
lethargy, inertia, listlessness, lack of energy, lifelessness, inactivity, inaction, slowness, languor, languidness, torpor, torpidity, dullness, heaviness, apathy, passivity, weariness, tiredness, lassitude, fatigue, sleepiness, drowsiness, enervation, somnolence, laziness, idleness, indolence, sloth, slothfulnesslack of activity, quietness, slowness, slackness, flatness, stagnationView synonyms
- ‘In his public letter of resignation he accused the council and the mayor of inefficiency in the levying of taxes, and of sluggishness in the carrying out of development projects.’
- ‘Blood pudding and blood sausage are folk treatments for fatigue and sluggishness.’
- ‘Stopping caffeine suddenly, however, can cause sluggishness, fatigue, headache and grumpiness.’
- ‘Earth's mass, moreover, measures Earth's inertia or sluggishness if we tried to stop or change its movement through space.’
- ‘But sometimes fatigue and sluggishness are caused by an underactive thyroid and these external forces simply exacerbate an already stressed thyroid gland.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.