One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
lethargy, inertia, listlessness, lack of energy, lifelessness, inactivity, inaction, slowness, languor, languidness, torpor, torpidity, dullness, heaviness, apathy, passivity, weariness, tiredness, lassitude, fatigue, sleepiness, drowsiness, enervation, somnolence, laziness, idleness, indolence, sloth, slothfulnesslack of activity, quietness, slowness, slackness, flatness, stagnationView synonyms
- ‘Earth's mass, moreover, measures Earth's inertia or sluggishness if we tried to stop or change its movement through space.’
- ‘Blood pudding and blood sausage are folk treatments for fatigue and sluggishness.’
- ‘Stopping caffeine suddenly, however, can cause sluggishness, fatigue, headache and grumpiness.’
- ‘But sometimes fatigue and sluggishness are caused by an underactive thyroid and these external forces simply exacerbate an already stressed thyroid gland.’
- ‘In his public letter of resignation he accused the council and the mayor of inefficiency in the levying of taxes, and of sluggishness in the carrying out of development projects.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.