[attributive] (of a muscle fiber) contracting slowly, providing endurance rather than strength.
- ‘Mechanical efficiency depends upon the extent to which the swimmer can recruit slow-twitch muscle fibres, which are more efficient at converting chemical energy into muscle contraction than are fast-twitch fibres.’
- ‘Athletes know that building slow-twitch muscle comes from endurance training and regular exercise.’
- ‘Mammalian muscle fibers can be divided into fast-twitch and slow-twitch categories which are determined by the nature of their contractile proteins.’
- ‘In these cases, the myosin in the FT fibres became more like that in the slow-twitch fibres.’
- ‘In it, I incorporate a mix of low and high reps to stimulate both slow-twitch and fast-twitch muscle fibers and to build strength.’