One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large spoon with slots or holes for draining liquid from food.
- ‘Remove onion and potato, using a slotted spoon, and place in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.’
- ‘Remove with slotted spoon, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.’
- ‘Remove them from the skillet with a slotted spoon.’
- ‘Remove from the heat, place over medium heat, and, using a slotted spoon, transfer the bones to a large saucepan.’
- ‘Remove the shellfish from the cooking liquid with a slotted spoon.’
- ‘The bubble solution can be poured into a large, round pot where you can experiment with different kinds of bubble makers, from plastic six-pack rings to slotted spoons to wands made of twisted pipe cleaners.’
- ‘Remove the melon pieces with a slotted spoon, and cook the syrup for another 5 minutes, until thickened.’
- ‘Let the liquid settle for 5 minutes, then skim off fat (either with a wide slotted spoon or pads of kitchen paper).’
- ‘Have a large plate or tray with a wad of kitchen paper and a slotted spoon handy, and warm a serving dish.’
- ‘Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels to a warm soup tureen.’
- ‘Remove onions to a baking sheet using a slotted spoon to drain them, and let cool.’
- ‘Dirt and heavier particles will fall to the bottom and you can scoop the cleaned sunflower seeds out with a slotted spoon or strainer.’
- ‘Transfer them to a warm serving dish, scoop the grapes and walnuts out too with a slotted spoon, and spoon around the birds.’
- ‘Blanch the asparagus spears in boiling salted water for two minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and dry on kitchen towel.’
- ‘Remove with a slotted spoon, add another tbsp oil and gently fry the vegetables for five minutes or so.’
- ‘When this occurs, remove the tomatoes from the water with a slotted spoon, and place them on a cutting board.’
- ‘Using a slotted spoon, scoop large curds into molds, filling the molds to the top.’
- ‘When 1 to 2 cups of fruit accumulate, stir and remove the fruit with a slotted spoon.’
- ‘Using a slotted spoon, transfer artichokes to a food processor fitted with the metal blade.’
- ‘Remove the softened vegetables with a slotted spoon to the bowl of your food processor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.