Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sandwich with a filling of ground beef that has been seasoned with a sauce of tomatoes and spices.
- ‘I woke up to a sloppy joe dinner, fruit and chips.’
- ‘I'm just not sure whether I want yesterday's meatloaf as today's sloppy joe.’
- ‘It looked like someone had spilled a cafeteria tray full of sloppy joe.’
- ‘Or pick up some crumbled soy - which resembles hamburger but without the possibility of E. coli - and turn it into spaghetti sauce or sloppy joes.’
- ‘Now when it comes to cooking I can only do three things, chili, sloppy joes, and taco meat.’
- ‘A lot of people see it as sort of a place to go and have the conch fritters and a couple margaritas and see ‘Margaritaville’ and sloppy joes.’
- ‘You know, the date drop cookies and silver dollar pancakes, the sloppy joes and mad hatter meatballs, the enchanted castle cake and the salad of radish roses, were all made by my mother!’
- ‘I believe it's called a sloppy joe but thanks for the commentary.’
- ‘Fly's never quite sure what to make of hoopsters who still eat sloppy joes off Styrofoam trays during fifth period.’
- ‘We have sloppy joes and chicken a la king too,’ said the staff sergeant.’
- ‘In Kingstree, South Carolina, make sure to eat sloppy joes with onion rings.’
- ‘A massive feast of sloppy joes and a night of drinking beer by the camp fire get us ready for tomorrow's race.’
- ‘Back in town these guys would be wolfing down a sloppy joe and a platter of fries.’
- ‘His lunch tray somehow managed to slip from his hands on the way to a table and he had ended up wearing the sauce from his sloppy joe on his long-sleeved, white stretch-shirt.’
- ‘Burgers could take a dozen different forms, while meatloaves, pizza, cabbage rolls, meat pies, sloppy joes, tortilla wraps and stuffed peppers (not to speak of other stuffed vegetables) would round out the month.’
- ‘Just keep this in mind: As the president of the National Barbecue Association and CEO of two restaurant chains, says, ‘Barbecue isn't just meat and some sauce - that's a sloppy joe.’’
- ‘Boss Dornbush approached Chris' cell and gave him a tray containing a sloppy joe sandwich, potato chips, and a soda.’
sloppy joe/ˌsläpē ˈjō/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.