One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a sailing boat) having one mast and a mainsail and jib rigged fore and aft.
- ‘These courses are conducted on 35’ or larger sloop-rigged keelboats with wheel steering and inboard diesel power.’
- ‘This type of sloop-rigged canal sloop was common in the period between 1840 and 1862.’
- ‘They are sloop-rigged, open boats, of large size, and fine appearance, suitable for the prosecution of the winter fisheries.’
- ‘He knew that the course of a sloop-rigged sailing boat can, within certain limits, be controlled by hauling in or paying out the jib sail.’
- ‘Its two masts look sloop-rigged for speed, but its rigging hangs in snapped and tangled confusion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.