One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A liqueur made by steeping sloes in gin.
- ‘This really took off and now we are selling sloe gin to farm shops, at farmers' markets and to 80 delicatessen shops throughout the country.’
- ‘Every year, the two ex-teachers picked sloe berries from the same place, and made their own brew of sloe gin.’
- ‘The bushes ended up covered with sloes; we picked them, of course, bringing back memories of a Christmas tipple we made long ago: sloe gin.’
- ‘It's gin and sherry - perfectly ghastly, unless you liven it up with some sloe gin, whisky and a hint of oxtail soup.’
- ‘Take a swig from your hip flask of sloe gin, whisky or red wine and you'll be laughing.’
- ‘Ruby-red in colour, this sloe gin is a real snuggle-up-on-the-sofa drink, delivering a moreish palate with flavours similar to black cherries.’
- ‘Tasting three glasses of liqueurs - two of themsloe gin - he quipped that he was in danger of getting drunk.’
- ‘I don't think I'll be growing avocados outdoors in the home counties any time soon, but I'd love a hedge of blackthorn so I could harvest the berries for a nip of homemade sloe gin.’
- ‘To make the syllabub, combine the sugar, lemon juice, brandy and sloe gin in a large bowl and whisk for about a minute to dissolve the sugar.’
- ‘We started at the Marquess of Granby where it was warm enough to stand out on the pavement drinking sloe gin, which turned out to be sickeningly sweet, but at the same time strangely moreish.’
- ‘With some of my wife's disgustingly wonderful chocolate cake, and a slug or three of sloe gin to bolster our frozen extremities, we set off with perhaps a tad more spring in our steps.’
- ‘As we all switched to more adult beverages she developed an unfortunate taste for sloe gin.’
- ‘Their list last fall, for instance, included a mix of dark rum, sloe gin, passion fruit liqueur and fresh lime juice.’
- ‘His mission is to find as many sloe berries from blackthorn hedges as he can this autumn to expand his booming sloe gin and liqueur chocolate production business.’
- ‘There's something about sloe gin in the cool, country air which is just perfect.’
- ‘There are currently 65 rooms, all extremely comfortable, with thematically correct black-and-white bathrooms and mini decanters of estate-made sloe gin to ease your arrival.’
- ‘And with the big chill now on, the reader in search of a heart-warming stirrup cup needs to know that home-made sloe gin is the best there is.’
- ‘At this time of year, all the best gourmet restaurants have elderberry ice-cream on the menu and cooks are busy potting up rose hip chutney, quince jelly and bottling sloe gin liqueur.’
- ‘Felt very country-girl, particularly when we stumbled across some sloes and decided to pick them too to make sloe gin.’
- ‘I pick bags of them to take back home, to be converted into potent sloe gin for Christmas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.