One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vertebral disc that is displaced or partly protruding, pressing on nearby nerves and causing back pain or sciatica.
- ‘Mr Byard told the inquest she had been in severe pain for months with a slipped disc, and then discovered a lump in her breast.’
- ‘This condition is called a pinched nerve, slipped disc, or herniated disc.’
- ‘Pam Smith sustained serious back injury, including a slipped disc, concussion and severe bruising.’
- ‘Half of his patients suffer from lower back pain problems, caused by a slipped disc, muscle or ligament strain, trauma or work-related injury.’
- ‘‘In addition, he has recently suffered a slipped disc and on the day of this offence the pain he was suffering became unbearable,’ she said.’
- ‘The treatment spectrum ranges from regular backaches to slipped discs.’
- ‘Anyone suffering from slipped discs or sciatica etc. should inform the therapist so she can devise a special program of exercises for them.’
- ‘Several years ago, when she'd been employed at the firm for six months and married for just three, her husband suffered a slipped disk and was flat on his back for six months.’
- ‘As a result of our upright, bipedal posture, we surfer a huge catalog of woes, including slipped disks, fallen arches, wrenched knees, hernias, and aching necks.’
- ‘The main symptom of a slipped disc is sudden, excruciating back pain with severe back muscle spasm.’
- ‘An explanation for the good results of acupuncture at slipped disks is the fact that hurt is not only effect but also cause of this disease.’
- ‘Rogers said: ‘I had problems with back pain and it turned out to be a slipped disc.’’
- ‘A slipped disc usually happens when the back is bent forward.’
- ‘The high tolerance for dull pain can be a bad thing; I apparently have had a slipped disk in my lower back for over a year that I've just been ‘living with’.’
- ‘A slipped disc happens when the disc between the bones bulges and presses on nerves.’
- ‘Tom claims to have healed bad backs, slipped disks and cataracts, and he claims to have cured two people who were in the early stage of cancer.’
- ‘But while the principal loading hypothesis can explain gross injuries, such as fractures in vertebrae or slipped discs, it does not explain the vast majority of cases of back pain.’
- ‘I, personally, have two slipped discs that require me to regularly walk for exercise.’
- ‘Anwar, who left jail in a wheelchair, suffers from a slipped disk and spinal stenosis, a narrowing of space in the spine that results in pressure on the spinal cord or nerve roots, according to his aide Azmin Ali.’
- ‘There is also a gentle gravity-fed traction device for those with a slipped disc or sciatica.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.