One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A simple organism that consists of an acellular mass of creeping gelatinous protoplasm containing nuclei, or a mass of amoeboid cells. When it reaches a certain size it forms a large number of spore cases.
Division Myxomycota, kingdom Fungi, in particular the class Myxomycetes; also treated as protozoan (phylum Gymnomyxa, kingdom Protista)
- ‘In three trials out of 19 the slime mould continued to occupy the whole maze, and in another two seems to have refused to play the game altogether.’
- ‘Zooming in for a close-up of a slime mold, you can observe the branching network patterns that emerge as the mold grows.’
- ‘Has Human life no more meaning than the life of slime mould?’
- ‘Studies in yeast and slime mould have demonstrated that CK2 is essential for cell viability.’
- ‘So far, 11 myosin genes have been identified in the slime mould Dictyostelium discoideum.’
- ‘There, Gypsies find and gather what scientists call slime mold, and bake it with flour into rocks.’
- ‘What's more, these results led Simon and his colleagues to investigate an age-old, baffling question about slime mold behavior.’
- ‘The plasmodium of the true slime mold Physarum polycephalum is a multinucleate organism not subdivided into cells.’
- ‘Insect, bacteria and slime mold communities coordinate growth processes based on interactions among chemical trails left behind by individuals.’
- ‘Multiple rows are observed in the glaucophycean algae, some red algae, chlorophycean and ulvophycean green algae, the slime mold Dictyostelium and the tunicates.’
- ‘The slime mold's simple life cycle and the ability to grow large numbers of cells easily, together with the possibility of genetic manipulation, make it an attractive system for developmental study.’
- ‘Fortunately, mycologists quickly dismissed any Extraterrestrial Biological Entity hypothesis and identified the blobs as part of a slime mold or myxomycete.’
- ‘When resources dwindle, the slime mold is reprogrammed to produce spore-bearing fruit bodies.’
- ‘It turned out to be a carnivorous fungus called a slime mould.’
- ‘In fungi, plasmodial slime mold displays a diploid life history.’
- ‘The nematode is clustered with the acellular slime mold, the cellular slime mold, the malaria parasite, and the dysentery amoeba.’
- ‘Other studies have reported that calcium ions are required for phototaxis in Cryptomonas sp. and the slime mold Physarum polycephalum.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.