One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small book of poetry or other literary writing, typically by a little-known author.‘he was a prolific poet who had published a few slim volumes during his lifetime’
- ‘In 1979 he published a book of poetry, a slim volume, including some of the strongest poems he has ever written.’
- ‘In 1910 his father paid for the publication of his Songs of Night, the first of many slim volumes of poetry which were greatly admired by an ever-widening circle.’
- ‘In 1987 François Wahl, who had taken on the role of Barthes's literary executor, brought out under Barthes's name a slim volume entitled Incidents.’
- ‘Turn over a stone on a country road and you'll find someone doggedly publishing slim volumes of verse or alternative health treatment guides.’
- ‘A prolific poet who had published a few slim volumes during his lifetime, his posthumously published Collected Poems contains over five hundred poems, including a significant number of long poems.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.