Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small book of poetry or other literary writing, typically by a little-known author.‘he was a prolific poet who had published a few slim volumes during his lifetime’
- ‘In 1987 François Wahl, who had taken on the role of Barthes's literary executor, brought out under Barthes's name a slim volume entitled Incidents.’
- ‘In 1979 he published a book of poetry, a slim volume, including some of the strongest poems he has ever written.’
- ‘In 1910 his father paid for the publication of his Songs of Night, the first of many slim volumes of poetry which were greatly admired by an ever-widening circle.’
- ‘Turn over a stone on a country road and you'll find someone doggedly publishing slim volumes of verse or alternative health treatment guides.’
- ‘A prolific poet who had published a few slim volumes during his lifetime, his posthumously published Collected Poems contains over five hundred poems, including a significant number of long poems.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.