One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘‘It has been the fashion in this country to speak slightingly of West,’ Lester acknowledged, but this was simply wrong; West, he declared, was ‘the pioneer and father of American Artists.’’
- ‘Flavia spoke slightingly of him, yet encouraged him to pursue her.’
- ‘One reason why we are likely to speak slightingly of the ethics of the politician is that he can never exhibit his good qualities systematically.’
- ‘Do not some persons speak slightingly of united prayer?’
- ‘He has been slightingly treated by many Scottish historians, but he had little opportunity to reveal his abilities and there is no contemporary comment on his character.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.