Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A seat able to slide back and forth on runners, especially one in a racing rowboat used to adjust the length of a stroke.
- ‘As I explained the mechanical advantages of rowing - the oar as lever, the oarlock as fulcrum, the sliding seat as a tool for harnessing leg power - he nodded, then frowned.’
- ‘The 24-foot identical plywood boats are fitted internally to the crews' own preference but predominantly using the same sliding seat and sculling oars that operate in standard rowing boats.’
- ‘Then I had to try to master the rowing stroke using a heavy oar while sitting on a sliding seat with my feet clamped into place.’
- ‘Each boat contains a crew of two and each crew rows an identical 7.1 metre boat that includes two sliding seats and the same sculling oars as used in standard rowing boats.’
- ‘I would not want to go much over twenty on a bike with a sliding seat and handlebars that move back and forth, but this bike was super stable.’
- ‘Despite a few tricks such as sliding seats, the rear cabin is very small and best reserved for schoolchildren and their schoolbags.’
- ‘I thought, ‘Just what I need, I'll learn to row in a sliding seat.’’
- ‘Perhaps it was second-row sliding seats or the automatic climate control, perhaps the traction control or electronic brake distribution system, but I knew we were meant for each other.’
- ‘All rowers sit on sliding seats on metal tracks, allowing for a smooth, clean stroke that uses leg, back, and arm muscles.’
- ‘The event is a sliding seat coxed four and the rowers must have some use of legs, trunk and arms,.’
sliding seat/ˈslīdiNG sēt/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.