One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A scale of fees, taxes, wages, etc., that varies in accordance with variation of some standard.
- ‘The new BIK rules will operate on a sliding scale from 30 per cent to 6 per cent.’
- ‘For private sales a transfer tax is imposed on a sliding scale.’
- ‘Each of the 12 units qualifies for double rent allowance and rates remission on a sliding scale.’
- ‘It's a sliding scale which varies according to the individual's level of trust in God.’
- ‘He proposed that the system be made solvent by reducing benefits on a sliding scale, according to income.’
- ‘Transfer tax is imposed on a sliding scale for private transfers and usually works out at 7.5 per cent.’
- ‘Nationals are taxed on a sliding scale with a maximum taxable rate of 25 per cent.’
- ‘This tax will be calculated on a sliding scale to a maximum of 6 per cent, but properties valued at up to €85,000 are exempt.’
- ‘The nursery and crèche will be available to children of all staff members on a sliding scale, according to income.’
- ‘But there is an exit charge based on a sliding scale of five per cent in year one down to zero in year six.’
- ‘There are no entry charges, and exit charges are applied on a sliding scale from 5 per cent of the fund value in year one to zero per cent in year six.’
- ‘Entry charges have been dropped in favour of exit penalties, which are applied on a sliding scale from 5 per cent in year one down to zero in year five.’
- ‘However, they may still charge a sliding scale early encashment penalty.’
- ‘Maybe an insurance premium based on a sliding scale of item value, which could be refunded if the transaction is successful would be best.’
- ‘This money could be used as a government match, on a sliding scale, to encourage all Americans to set up private accounts.’
- ‘He believes what's needed is a sliding scale of road pricing with charges varying according to journey times.’
- ‘The rate applies on a sliding scale and ranges from 7.65 per cent to 34 per cent.’
- ‘In 1975, Ireland had a sliding scale scheme for tax and royalties on oil and gas discovered in Irish waters.’
- ‘Capital gains tax is paid on a sliding scale up to 33 per cent.’
- ‘It charges corporate income tax on a sliding scale, dependent upon a company's in-state sales.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.