One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A door drawn across an aperture on a groove or suspended from a track, rather than turning on hinges.
- ‘Unadorned windows, sliding doors, and glass porch railings bring in the view.’
- ‘Each time the sliding doors leading to the tracks open, a rush of cold air fills the station.’
- ‘The master bedroom is quite large and has a beamed ceiling, wall-to-wall windows and sliding doors to the rear patio area.’
- ‘Immediately ahead is a country-style kitchen which has sliding doors leading to a patio area in the back garden.’
- ‘And when you have the sliding door out of the track, give the sill and channel a good cleaning.’
- ‘Then I moved into my own space, but all it comprised was a recess off the main room separated by hardboard sliding doors.’
- ‘The living room is exceptionally bright and has a cork floor and sliding doors to the patio.’
- ‘The living room includes a fireplace fitted with a coal-effect gas fire as well as sliding doors opening onto a small patio.’
- ‘I knew the sliding doors a few doors down from us led to the elevator, so I turned myself invisible and waited.’
- ‘A large steel staircase led up to a second floor with two sliding doors.’
- ‘You also want window coverings that can function equally well at the windows and at the sliding doors.’
- ‘This room has sliding doors that lead to the rear patio and a door to the family room.’
- ‘The eastern wall features extensive glazing in the form of sliding doors with Brazilian cedar window frames.’
- ‘The van had a side sliding door and a rear door, and has been described as looking similar to a police van.’
- ‘The breakfast room has wooden floorboards and sliding doors to the rear patio.’
- ‘The sliding doors to the balcony are open, but the screen doors are still closed.’
- ‘He got it all by building a second interior wall at the rear of the house, creating the pockets for the sliding doors.’
- ‘Sheath the three walls that need plywood, and get the sliding door working.’
- ‘They developed a full range including pivot doors, sliding doors, square sliding doors and curvy ones.’
- ‘Across from the door was a large window with a sliding door, offering a view of the busy street below.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.