One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ruler with a sliding central strip, marked with logarithmic scales and used for making rapid calculations, especially multiplication and division.
- ‘For number crunching, in lieu of calculators, he relied on a slide rule, its case battered.’
- ‘We would then look at it through an instrument that looked, and behaved, like a slide rule, with sliding piece made of smoked glass.’
- ‘For example, the hand-held electronic calculator quickly ended the slide rule industry.’
- ‘An analog calculator designed along the principle of a slide rule, it utilizes logarithmic and inverse logarithmic scales to quickly provide you with the correct firing solution.’
- ‘This includes a detailed discussion of the use of the slide rule in making calculations governing the adjustment and operation of looms and weaving equipment.’
- ‘On a scorching summer day earlier this year, Beijing engineer Shan Tao doesn't need a slide rule to sort out his overheating equation.’
- ‘It would not have occurred to me until recent years, any more than I would have conceived of portable computers while I was working out trigonometry problems with a slide rule.’
- ‘He still had a white-knuckled grip on his slide rule.’
- ‘He had learnt some useful skills at the school such as arithmetic, double-entry book keeping and how to use a slide rule.’
- ‘Rocket man Wernher von Braun called for a new kind of warrior, one armed with a slide rule.’
- ‘Oughtred described the slide rule in 1622 but the circular slide rule was not described by him until 1632.’
- ‘The new, more versatile and accurate slide rule with its cursor and easy to read scales had become the favorite of those in technical fields.’
- ‘The slide rule is one of the newest scientific instruments which has started to become collectable.’
- ‘He worked with pencil and paper, as well as a slide rule and a table of logarithms.’
- ‘I can use rail-dots for ranging if I have to, but then I'm old enough that I can still use a slide rule if I have to.’
- ‘Hands up all those who did maths using a slide rule?’
- ‘Renewable energy technology can end utility monopolies and liberate us from a lifetime of paying monthly power bills, rendering utility power as obsolete as the slide rule.’
- ‘Log tables were used as there were no calculators and indeed, a slide rule was all the fashion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.