One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Walk around and sometimes perform other actions while asleep.
somnambulism, noctambulismView synonyms
- ‘I'd never sleepwalked before, and highly doubted that I did now.’
- ‘Apparently the guy had just sleepwalked ALL the way from his room, SAT down, and fell promptly ASLEEP on the bag of bread.’
- ‘Maybe I had fallen asleep during English and sleepwalked my way to the bathroom.’
- ‘It was the first time even the back room was full, and though that may be what every owner wants, two waiters sleepwalked through our room with eyes wide shut, ignoring everyone to their left and right.’
- ‘During a week-long trial, the defendant told the jury of his family's history of sleepwalking - he, his mother, two aunts and a cousin have all sleepwalked.’
- ‘I don't think a person who is sleepwalking can do tricks on a snowboard like those.’
- ‘I sleepwalked around the house in my pajamas, barely talking to my parents.’
- ‘However, what if I had sleepwalked and took it from Palestrike's chamber?’
- ‘He told police that he could not remember having sex with the woman, but that he had sleepwalked in the past when very drunk.’
- ‘Have you ever sleepwalked? No, not that i know of.’
- ‘Then she remembered Del sleepwalked with alarming regularity and shrugged it off.’
- ‘If your child sleepwalks for a long time, talk to your doctor.’
- ‘He claimed he had sleepwalked in the past, particularly when he had been drinking as he had in the hours before the alleged rapes.’
- ‘The children were tiny and tucked up in their beds, but they were still at the stage of sleepwalking into my room in the middle of the night, so a few nocturnal noises were par for the course.’
- ‘That was more than a bad dream and I have never sleepwalked in my life.’
- ‘Deciding that if asked, I could blame my night walk on sleepwalking, I shrugged and strode purposely towards the building.’
- ‘Again from Almodóvar: ‘In the opening scene, you see these women who are walking around blind and sleepwalking.’’
- ‘Some people sleepwalk when they're stressed.’
An instance of walking around while asleep.
- ‘At first the route was a struggle, but it quickly came to resemble a sleepwalk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.