Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A tropical disease caused by a parasitic protozoan (trypanosome) that is transmitted by the bite of the tsetse fly. It causes fever, chills, pain in the limbs, and anemia, and eventually affects the nervous system causing extreme lethargy and death.See also trypanosomiasis
- ‘Only about 1% of newly developed drugs are for tropical diseases, such as African sleeping sickness and dengue fever.’
- ‘Understanding trypanosomes at the molecular level is key to fighting African sleeping sickness and diseases caused by similar parasites.’
- ‘Transmitted by tsetse flies, in which the trypanosomes of African sleeping sickness develop, they enter their human host by the bite of the fly.’
- ‘The tsetse fly transmits sleeping sickness, midges transmit lumpy skin disease and three-day stiff sickness.’
- ‘The medical aid agency specifically asked them for the overall resources devoted to malaria, tuberculosis, sleeping sickness, Chagas' disease, and leishmaniasis.’
2North Americananother term for encephalitis lethargica
- ‘This mysterious illness, also known as sleeping sickness, can lead to a prolonged state of unconsciousness.’
- ‘The sleeping sickness, encephalitis lethargica, spread around the globe, and its complications attracted the interest of neurologists.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.