Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A secretive group of spies or terrorist agents that remain inactive within a target population until ordered to act.
- ‘The government said the men formed a sleeper cell and they are too dangerous to be allowed to post bail.’
- ‘I believe that these restrictions are not excessive given the nature of the threat that confronts us, nor do they result in ‘illusory’ security when, say, a sleeper cell is uncovered.’
- ‘The plea agreements exposed as a fraud claims made by Attorney General John Ashcroft last October that the arrests in Portland had disrupted a ‘terrorist sleeper cell.’’
- ‘That's one sleeper cell you do not want to wake up.’
- ‘The government has every right in the world to believe that they may very well have been a sleeper cell.’
- ‘The U.S. citizen killed by a missile launched from a pilotless drone aircraft over Yemen was the ringleader of an alleged terrorist sleeper cell in Lackawanna, N.Y., administration officials said yesterday.’
- ‘Secretly entering the United States to join a terrorist sleeper cell, he moves in with his childhood friend Sayeed, a physician contentedly living with his family in Jersey City.’
- ‘Even with background checks and added government screening, one of these employees could easily be a member of a terrorist sleeper cell.’
- ‘Three Saudis and 7 Moroccans were accused of forming a sleeper cell and planning terrorist attacks against ships entering the Straits of Gibraltar.’
- ‘The first major U.S. terror trial after the 9/11 attacks centered on four men said to form a Detroit sleeper cell.’
- ‘Detroit prosecutors said at least four of the men ‘operated as a covert underground support unit’ and were also a sleeper cell.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.