Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Learning by hearing while asleep, typically by playing a tape recording of what is to be learned.
- ‘This proposal is reminiscent of the consolidation interpretation of sleep-learning problems put forth by Hebb.’
- ‘It was in 1949 that Ramon Vinay's feat in sleep-learning a complete opera in accentless Italian became celebrated in musical circles.’
- ‘You'll want to listen to these sleep learning, subliminal CD's for their beautiful music or relaxing sounds alone, but in addition to your listening pleasure, you will also receive safe, positive attitude messages at a subliminal level.’
- ‘While there are no experimental studies regarding the effects of sleep learning, science has shown that sleep is implicated in plastic cerebral changes which underlie learning and memory.’
- ‘Leshan tested the theory of sleep-learning on a group of nail-biting boys attending summer camp.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.