One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sleazy, sordid, or despicable.‘a sleazoid lawyer’
improper, sordid, unseemly, unsavoury, sleazy, seedy, seamy, shoddy, vile, foul, tawdry, louche, cheap, base, low, low-minded, nasty, debased, degenerate, depraved, corrupt, dishonest, dishonourable, disreputable, despicable, discreditable, disgraceful, contemptible, ignominious, ignoble, shameful, wretched, abhorrent, odious, abominable, disgustingView synonyms
- ‘Well, why on earth wouldn't she crave the attentions of her presumably 40-something sleazoid neighbour?’
- ‘In a genre overrun by sleazo cheapies, he is the best technician and the only artist.’
- ‘I know of a sleazy tabloid reporter whose girlfriend dumped him (due in no small part to the fact that he was a sleazoid reporter).’
- ‘In this sleazoid farce where characters cackle like horrific hens in a sexual slaughterhouse, individuals coexist in insular states of self-absorbed eccentricity.’
- ‘I especially enjoyed the comic bit where the sleazoid Sayer confronts Viktor with an obviously senile old woman whom he purports to be Simone's abandoned mother.’
- ‘Believe it or not, Judge Bill Gibron actually thinks that this sleazoid slice of excruciating exploitation is one of the best Italian horror movies of all time.’
- ‘This is one example of shocking sleazoid cinema that has something profound to say about its subject, and it's the overall benchmark set by this film.’
A sleazy, sordid, or despicable person.
- ‘As one sleazoid says to another at one point, ‘This country was built on innovation, so start innovating!’’
- ‘I let her help me write the ad, making use of every allotted square, so random sleazos weren't immediately aware that they were writing to a beast.’
- ‘It's the sleazy record label industry after all, and all the sleazoids you have to deal with who work at them,’ says Buzz.’
- ‘Hoffman plays a sleazoid here, in a film that is so far beneath him it's a miracle he's in it.’
- ‘No doubt a couple of sleazoids will appear, maybe even a saboteur.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.