One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjective & noun
- ‘After the mission the two brothers returned to Constantinople and devoted their time and energy to translating liturgical texts into the Slavonic language.’
- ‘As for my daughter, the name Yana is common in Slavonic languages.’
- ‘It was eventually adopted in Slavonic translation as a festal hymn by the Russian Orthodox Church.’
- ‘Like most Slavonic languages, Macedonian is written in the Cyrillic alphabet.’
- ‘Since the 1980s a number of interesting articles and conference papers have been published on Baltic and Slavonic funeral ritual.’
From medieval Latin S(c)lavonicus, from S(c)lavonia ‘country of the Slavs’, from Sclavus (see Slav).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.