One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adverb & adjective
At an angle or in a sloping direction.as adjective ‘a slantwise glance’as adverb ‘the bird veers and drops slantwise toward the tree’
at a slant, on the slant, at an angle, not straight, slanting, slanted, slantwise, slant, oblique, leaning, inclining, inclined, angled, cambered, cantedView synonyms
- ‘The most controversial and dramatic elements of the building, the 14 thermal chimneys. are clearly related to the pilaster-like piers by patinated aluminium bronze plate ducts which run slantwise across the roof slope.’
- ‘He looked at his dad slantwise, and was satisfied when his father snorted amusedly and waved him on.’
- ‘The child dashed across the macadam while the rain cut slantwise through the air.’
- ‘Horses jammed the ford over the stream; Michael crossed above them, galloping slantwise across the slope after the belling pack, stretched low on his horse's neck to clear the branches.’
- ‘She settled herself onto the couch, slantwise, half reclining, supported by plush cushions, and kicked off her shoes.’
- ‘Rain is slashing slantwise, mixing with spray from waves smashing into jetty walls.’
- ‘She smiles, perhaps, but the light touches her slantwise, so I can't be sure.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.