One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a spoken statement) false and malicious.‘slanderous allegations’
defamatory, denigratory, disparaging, derogatory, libellous, pejorative, false, untrue, lying, misrepresentative, damaging, injurious, scurrilous, scandalous, poisonous, vicious, opprobrious, malicious, abusive, insultingView synonyms
- ‘He began to make slanderous attacks and false accusations against those who questioned his stories.’
- ‘Posting of slanderous, libelous, abusive or defamatory material is totally prohibited.’
- ‘Prudie only mentions this because to repeat such an accusation, should it be untrue, would be slanderous.’
- ‘I'm not going to miss the mud-slinging, slanderous, nasty ads on the radio.’
- ‘Publicly telling someone that they did not belong in a neighborhood could be a very slanderous insult.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.