One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1usually the slammerinformal Prison.
jail, prison, cell, police cell, place of detention, place of confinement, detention centreView synonyms
- ‘Perhaps it is you that corrupts whatever guy you get to know since we all seem destined for the slammer!’
- ‘Either they could spend 60 days in the slammer with no chance of parole, and pay a hefty fine, or they could go for the second option.’
- ‘And I could have you spending the night in the slammer with one single phone call.’
- ‘The guy broke out of the slammer and shot her at point blank range.’
- ‘And Luke really didn't think he'd handle the slammer very well.’
- ‘A guilt-ridden Jack quickly turns himself in for the hit-and-run, and is sent back to the slammer, his faith in God severely shaken.’
- ‘But on balance I think I'd stop short of sticking them in the slammer for 5 years.’
- ‘During a recent show in Oklahoma, Tillman's response to unappreciative fans got him tossed in the slammer.’
- ‘Isn't it time some of the big-time dippers spent some time in the slammer as well?’
- ‘For black males, the chances of ending up in the slammer are 1 in 3; for Hispanics, 1 in 6; for whites, 1 in 17.’
- ‘Apparently, it is the intention of prisoners abroad that no other Brits will ever be housed in Uncle Joe's slammer again.’
- ‘After Obeidi got out of Army slammer, the CIA started hedging on its promises to get him out of the country.’
- ‘I now hear Pauline is being put into the slammer for three years!’
- ‘But the reality is that people may not have had a conviction for the last 10 years because they have been inside the slammer.’
- ‘Not even Judge Whitten, we hope, would throw a 6-year-old girl in the slammer for writing a book report.’
- ‘Your mom just got my big brother stuck in the slammer.’
- ‘Community service was firmly out of the question, and he was sent to the slammer for 10 years, eventually being transferred to Alcatraz.’
- ‘It's a lot worse being in jail, and you don't honestly deserve to be in the slammer.’
- ‘The CEO faces 25 years in the slammer for ‘false financial filings’.’
- ‘We have been tortured for 30 years for no reason and I would like to see some of them doing 30 years in the slammer.’
2North American A person who deliberately collides with others when slam-dancing.
- ‘The slammers and hip-hoppers doubtless would find this collection hopelessly literary.’
- ‘They rate the slammers on performance, content and overall vibe.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.