Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An enclosed overhead walkway between buildings.
- ‘By the time the government opened up a skywalk to let people visit the site, I'd had enough.’
- ‘They only let people thirteen or older take the cautious trip, down three major roads, to traverse the skywalk over the highway.’
- ‘The sidewalk turned to concrete for a few yards, leading to an escalator and a skywalk going over the street.’
- ‘The Sauer Street building will be linked to 5 Simmonds Street by a skywalk.’
- ‘The most urgent need in the precinct is for a 5,000 seat plenary facility and to achieve this they propose a skywalk link to the Convention Centre.’
- ‘The university's new Learning Connection is located in Suite 200 of the Locust Center, 700 Locust St., and on the Des Moines skywalk.’
- ‘He only awoke from the stunner darts this morning, two days after his arrest on the skywalk in Old Baltimore.’
- ‘Ryiron got off from the ruined skywalk and didn't know what to say to his buddy.’
- ‘I landed the car, repelled down to the skywalk, entered the skywalk, and found the bodies.’
- ‘The Bangalore City Corporation will now take up 28 more skywalks in the city to help pedestrians cross busy roads and junctions.’
- ‘The precinct would encompass a street underpass, four skywalks joining buildings and underground parking.’
- ‘Chen Shiang-chyi's character meets watch vendor Lee Kang-sheng's character on a skywalk in Taipei before she leaves for Paris.’
- ‘At Des Moines' innovative Downtown School, parents can drop off their kids and then walk to work through the toasty skywalk system.’
- ‘The skywalks, which some felt would been seen as barriers to the square from the outside, will now flank the streets instead of straddling across the streets.’
- ‘We walked from the hotel across the skywalk (whatever they call those things) to The Plaza of the Americas.’
- ‘The new Hoover Hall is linked to phase I of the complex, Howe Hall, by the university's first skywalk.’
- ‘I saw her come across the skywalk, and I said, ‘Hey, look, there's Lori.’’
- ‘The female protagonist, Hsiang-chi, buys a watch from street vendor Hsiao-kang on the skywalk, before going to Paris.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.