One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A very tall building of many stories.
- ‘The city was overcrowded with tall skyscrapers and noisy vehicles of all sorts.’
- ‘A siren echoed through the tall skyscrapers, and faded beneath the noise of the city.’
- ‘Foster's will be the tallest of 60 skyscrapers to be built there in the next few years.’
- ‘Finding no skyscrapers and tall buildings from which he can swing, he looks for an alternative.’
- ‘The competition winners believe the design will surprise residents who fear skyscrapers and space age buildings.’
- ‘Last year the city announced a ban on the building of new skyscrapers.’
- ‘There are more fields to go into like shipbuilding and building skyscrapers and bridges and stuff.’
- ‘More and taller skyscrapers as well as suburban shopping malls were on the way.’
- ‘Masterton said there were good reasons for building skyscrapers and spectacular towers.’
- ‘They're not building towering skyscrapers of glass and steel in Brooklyn.’
- ‘The rolling hills covered in green grass, dotted with dark southern pines that seem bigger than the tallest skyscraper.’
- ‘In some skyscrapers, storey upon storey of offices were alight, although others were not.’
- ‘The fire illuminated a colossal figure that stood about as tall as a skyscraper.’
- ‘Liverpool had the first of these hotel/apartment skyscrapers and will soon get a second.’
- ‘Tall skyscrapers loomed above us and a million cars drove in all different directions.’
- ‘He was surrounded by tall skyscrapers, their towering heights lost in the inky blackness of a night sky.’
- ‘In Hong Kong, there is also a plan to build a skyscraper over 480 metres tall.’
- ‘In the latter case, as in much of the book, the skyscraper as a work of architecture is beside the point.’
- ‘The city arose in their view, the tall skyscrapers sweeping the skyline.’
2another term for skysail
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.