One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A light sail above the royal.
- ‘They actually went aloft, set top-gallant-sails, royals, and skysails, and trimmed the yards to the quartering breeze.’
- ‘On the website of skysails there are nice videos of the first test.’
- ‘Her topgallant, royal and skysail masts are of single spars.’
- ‘The ship also carried standing skysail pales and yards, a half poop, and had as her figurehead a toothy dragon's head.’
- ‘A skysail was a lightweight sail hoisted to the very peak of the mast, used only in extremely faint winds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.