One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sport or activity of jumping from an aircraft and performing acrobatic maneuvers in the air during free fall before landing by parachute.
- ‘The 50-year-old did his first jump for charity in 1983 and soon became addicted to skydiving, taking part in a host of competitions.’
- ‘Gilbert bet that he would try skydiving if Roddick won his first Masters tournament.’
- ‘It is similar to the maneuvers I perform in freefall while skydiving.’
- ‘Since he got involved in skydiving in 1980, Colonel Strand has accumulated approximately 1,600 jumps.’
- ‘We've both done some skydiving, bungee jumping, and whitewater rafting.’
- ‘They have been actively involved in sport all their lives, from athletics to skydiving, from basketball to scuba diving.’
- ‘His goal is simple, the perpetuation of the sport of skydiving.’
- ‘You can keep fishing - skydiving is the extreme sport for me.’
- ‘Sky surfing is skydiving with a special board that lets the jumper perform tricks in mid-air.’
- ‘And she's into skydiving, hang-gliding and bungee jumping!’
- ‘We weren't thrill seekers jumping off cliffs, or skydiving, or driving fast vehicles, but we did what many of you do.’
- ‘The aircraft belonged to Skydive Thailand, which takes passengers for skydiving.’
- ‘Treut shows them partying, having dinner, skydiving, riding motorcycles, performing their art, and having fun.’
- ‘But the statistics show that skydiving is one of the safest sports in the world; driving to a dropzone is generally more dangerous.’
- ‘Some people get over their acrophobia by going skydiving or bungee jumping.’
- ‘Fifteen years ago, skydiving did not have full-time teams.’
- ‘I'd had many adventures and skydiving seemed merely the next in line.’
- ‘Not only do they jump out of perfectly good airplanes - they name parachutes and skydiving schools after Icarus.’
- ‘This was rather puzzling, because she had been exercising vigorously until 10 days earlier, and enjoyed the sport of skydiving.’
- ‘And different experiences are something that Julie has thrown herself headlong into, including free-fall skydiving and abseiling.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.