Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A North American plant of the arum family, the flower of which has a distinctive unpleasant smell.
- ‘The skunk cabbage was one of his most successful introductions.’
- ‘The other side of Oak Beck is a damp patch of sweet and sour - wild garlic, and growing through it, naturalised skunk cabbages.’
- ‘The skunk cabbage's reputation for malodorousness has deprived generations of early-spring swamp explorers of a pleasurable experience.’
- ‘While walking through a deep, black stretch of trees I smelled a strange combination of fried onions and skunk cabbage.’
- ‘I'm surrounded by tussock sedge, alder, jewelweed, skunk cabbage, and swamp rose.’
- ‘Fly-pollinated plants, like the skunk cabbage of North America or the stinking corpse lily of Madagascar, typically have quite pungent odors.’
- ‘The earliest - and arguably the most resourceful - of the spring flowers is the skunk cabbage, ubiquitous in the wet places of North America and Eurasia.’
- ‘Leeks, skunk cabbage, and wild garlic soon seasoned the beans, bear, rabbit, and venison on colonists' plates.’
- ‘We're surrounded by tussock sedge, alder, jewelweed, skunk cabbage and swamp rose.’
- ‘Large ferns and giant skunk cabbage spring like green fountains from the dark soil.’
- ‘We made rolls out of the grains and wrapped them in the eatable parts of the skunk cabbage we gathered.’
- ‘I traveled down to a brook among dark maples, where the early skunk cabbage leaves were just beginning to appear.’
- ‘It is the iron and must of rain water plopping out of spruce needles in big, fat drops, plunking among bear bread, moss, and skunk cabbage.’
- ‘Broad-leaved arrowhead and lizard's tail are found where the water is deepest, while skunk cabbage, with its huge leaves, lines the perimeter of the fen.’
- ‘It's a South American species, Xanthosoma robustum, that's related to the dead-horse arum, philodendron, and skunk cabbage.’
- ‘In Co Galway, the bog garden at Ardcarraig is planted with drifts of candelabra Primulas, skunk cabbage, Meconopis, Iris and Astilbes.’
- ‘Bateman incorporated a skunk cabbage at the bottom to show ‘the whole thing stinks.’’
- ‘Hill suggests adding another giant, the skunk cabbage.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.