One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small close-fitting cap without a brim.
- ‘A gray skullcap covered his head, barely masking the long scar on his cheek.’
- ‘At the masquerade party, my head was covered with a black skullcap with cute little feline ears.’
- ‘On their heads, they wore white knitted skullcaps, silken headscarves or baseball caps.’
- ‘Men wear silk or cotton embroidered skullcaps (duppi).’
- ‘This morning, he didn't wear his skullcap and his hair was ruffled by the wind.’
- ‘They wore close-fitting crocheted skullcaps that were noticed by others.’
- ‘The attire of its male members, with their black skullcaps, is the strong symbol of the community's identity.’
- ‘He wiped the sweat from under his hat and swiftly put on a little skullcap, then stroked his short white beard.’
- ‘The stands are expected to be a sea of blue Vodacom Challenge skullcaps, which will be given to the first 25 000 fans to arrive.’
- ‘The Chancellor, without cowl or skullcap, did look very young, after all.’
- ‘A tab-like projection on the center of a carved skullcap served to hold a headdress of animal skins and feathers.’
- ‘Men in white shoulder-to-ankle gowns and skullcaps were selling their furniture, appliances, and clothing to feed their families.’
- ‘Men wear the doppilar, a small, square black skullcap.’
- ‘Instead of a crown, Arvid wore a knitted skullcap with holes for his ears to poke through.’
- ‘So if your preference is something without a tail, the skullcap is your choice.’
- ‘The overhead lights bathed a sea of shining hair, flowing scarves, and skullcaps.’
- ‘For those of us concerned not only with functional equipment but also looking good, the skullcap will prevent the dreaded helmet hair look.’
2The top part of the skull.
- ‘In contrast to the exhumation chronicles, which claimed wooden skullcaps covered the sawn-off crowns, their skulls are intact.’
- ‘In 1887, Eugene Dubois discovered a skullcap, a femur (thigh bone), and a molar in the same area.’
- ‘In 1973, a hominid skullcap and two stone tools were found.’
3A widely distributed plant of the mint family, whose tubular flowers have a helmet-shaped cup at the base.
- ‘I've started taking St. John's wort and skullcap.’
- ‘Other sleep promoting herbs include valerian, Californian poppy, skullcap, hops and passionflower.’
- ‘Also, skullcap and passionflower are supposed to have sedative effects.’
- ‘For tension headaches, herbs such as passiflora, valerian and skullcap can eliminate pain.’
- ‘If you have that reaction, try skullcap or passion flower instead.’
- ‘Chamomile, oatstraw, and skullcap are examples.’
- ‘Herbal supplements that can be toxic to the liver include kava, comfrey, chaparral, jin bu huan, kombucha tea, pennyroyal and skullcap.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.