One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small close-fitting cap without a brim.
- ‘Men wear the doppilar, a small, square black skullcap.’
- ‘A tab-like projection on the center of a carved skullcap served to hold a headdress of animal skins and feathers.’
- ‘This morning, he didn't wear his skullcap and his hair was ruffled by the wind.’
- ‘A gray skullcap covered his head, barely masking the long scar on his cheek.’
- ‘They wore close-fitting crocheted skullcaps that were noticed by others.’
- ‘The stands are expected to be a sea of blue Vodacom Challenge skullcaps, which will be given to the first 25 000 fans to arrive.’
- ‘Men wear silk or cotton embroidered skullcaps (duppi).’
- ‘At the masquerade party, my head was covered with a black skullcap with cute little feline ears.’
- ‘He wiped the sweat from under his hat and swiftly put on a little skullcap, then stroked his short white beard.’
- ‘For those of us concerned not only with functional equipment but also looking good, the skullcap will prevent the dreaded helmet hair look.’
- ‘The Chancellor, without cowl or skullcap, did look very young, after all.’
- ‘The attire of its male members, with their black skullcaps, is the strong symbol of the community's identity.’
- ‘On their heads, they wore white knitted skullcaps, silken headscarves or baseball caps.’
- ‘Men in white shoulder-to-ankle gowns and skullcaps were selling their furniture, appliances, and clothing to feed their families.’
- ‘Instead of a crown, Arvid wore a knitted skullcap with holes for his ears to poke through.’
- ‘So if your preference is something without a tail, the skullcap is your choice.’
- ‘The overhead lights bathed a sea of shining hair, flowing scarves, and skullcaps.’
2The top part of the skull.
- ‘In contrast to the exhumation chronicles, which claimed wooden skullcaps covered the sawn-off crowns, their skulls are intact.’
- ‘In 1973, a hominid skullcap and two stone tools were found.’
- ‘In 1887, Eugene Dubois discovered a skullcap, a femur (thigh bone), and a molar in the same area.’
3A widely distributed plant of the mint family, whose tubular flowers have a helmet-shaped cup at the base.
Genus Scutellaria, family Labiatae
- ‘Chamomile, oatstraw, and skullcap are examples.’
- ‘For tension headaches, herbs such as passiflora, valerian and skullcap can eliminate pain.’
- ‘Herbal supplements that can be toxic to the liver include kava, comfrey, chaparral, jin bu huan, kombucha tea, pennyroyal and skullcap.’
- ‘Other sleep promoting herbs include valerian, Californian poppy, skullcap, hops and passionflower.’
- ‘I've started taking St. John's wort and skullcap.’
- ‘If you have that reaction, try skullcap or passion flower instead.’
- ‘Also, skullcap and passionflower are supposed to have sedative effects.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.