Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘You should also use a sealing gun to close up cracks in floorboards, skirting boards and the like.’
- ‘The wooden theme continues from the floor to the skirting which runs around the walls.’
- ‘Walnut doors and skirting are complemented by stark white walls and most bedrooms contain fitted wardrobes.’
- ‘Inside, walls are finished in tinted plaster, with no skirtings against the floors, which themselves are of polished pale concrete.’
- ‘There are also plaster-skimmed walls throughout, regency paneled doors and a moulded skirting.’
- ‘If you prefer, lattice or other style panels may be use to match the skirting on the porch.’
- ‘Another option is to disguise your radiators as skirtings.’
- ‘Mushrooms, some 4-5 cm high, have also been growing out of hallway skirting boards on the 9th floor.’
- ‘All glass framing is let into the structure and there are no architraves or skirtings.’
- ‘‘The internal walls are dry-lined and plastered and all skirting and wood trim is varnished,’ Copeland said.’
- ‘Then have a skirting line the same color as the floor tile.’
- ‘We've stripped wallpaper, painted, put up skirting boards, hung blinds, panelled ceilings and clad walls.’
- ‘The chippies also added skirtings, trimmings and painted the walls, giving the 1920's accommodation a real boost.’
- ‘Bedbug lairs can be anywhere, from telephone handsets and electrical goods to crevices in wooden furniture or behind skirting boards.’
- ‘We came home yesterday to find ants marching along the hall carpet and scurrying around the skirting boards.’
- ‘Floors throughout are restored eight inch wide pine planks with natural wood skirting boards.’
- ‘They have just hung new doors throughout our house, and fitted new skirting boards in our hallway.’
- ‘If this is not possible, add light with a vinyl silk emulsion on the walls and gloss paint for the woodwork, skirting and window and door frames.’
- ‘Your local builders' merchant will sell wood beading that you can paint to match the skirting.’
- ‘Remove one panel of skirting from each corner; this usually works if the skunk is living above the ground or in articles stored under the trailer.’
- ‘Walls are white, offset with bright yellow doors and skirtings.’
- ‘The pale wood squares form a crisscross structure that runs around doorways, along skirting boards and across floors.’
- ‘He had ripped cupboard doors off their hinges and charged at walls and skirting boards.’
- ‘This allows the skirting cuts to be square and the cut skirting to be slid into position inside the nosing cuts.’
- ‘Oak doors lead you from room to room and the brushed-steel fittings and solid wooden skirtings add style and sturdiness.’
- ‘Replacing skirting and architraves is a good way of upgrading a home with minimum outlay.’
- ‘The skirting and door frame will have to wait until the walls and ceiling have dried.’
- ‘They are an inspiration to those of us still stuffing mushrooms and washing the skirting before a full day in the office.’
- ‘If similar skirting is used to match the rest of the room, the bay will blend in easier with the walls.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.