One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In an earlier time, they would have been called skirmishers.’
- ‘I knew I couldn't sleep, but I still had to keep my eyes open to watch for skirmishers, or raiders sneaking up on us in the night.’
- ‘In several little fields were knots of skirmishers.’
- ‘Quickly following Miller in the charge came the infantrymen and Winters's dismounted cavalry moving as skirmishers.’
- ‘At this sign of the possible proximity of Indians, skirmishers deployed, and the advance resumed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.