One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A test for an immune reaction performed by applying a substance topically or injecting it into the skin.
- ‘A chest radiograph should be obtained for high-risk children with a skin test reaction of 5 mm or more.’
- ‘Another important task is to investigate perceptions among nurses who perform the preoperative skin test.’
- ‘In eight cases, the skin prick tests were positive, although only one serological test was in agreement with the skin test.’
- ‘Usually the allergist will start off with something like a skin test or a blood test.’
- ‘Bilirubin levels are easily measured with a skin test or blood test.’
- ‘These staff members received oral and written instruction and additional pictures of the preoperative skin test before the test period.’
- ‘Allergies are diagnosed using a skin test or blood test, depending on the age and condition of the patient.’
- ‘For the skin test, a reaction greater than 5 mm was considered positive.’
- ‘The third kind of skin test is called a patch test.’
- ‘The results of this study show that participants had a pragmatic view of the preoperative skin test.’
- ‘The cost of the preoperative skin test is minimal because the test primarily is manufactured of leftover materials.’
- ‘Even if a skin test and/or a blood test shows an allergy, a child must also have symptoms to be definitively diagnosed with an allergy.’
- ‘The criteria for interpreting the reaction to the tuberculin skin test as positive are outlined in the accompanying table on page 1596.’
- ‘Therefore all nursing home residents with a positive skin test or an unexplained chronic cough need chest x-rays.’
- ‘Tuberculin skin test reactions are classified as positive or negative, with the size of the induration noted.’
- ‘Knowing the benefit of a skin test is important in making the reason for the skin test understandable.’
- ‘The methacholine skin test may elicit a positive response in patients with cholinergic urticaria.’
- ‘The purpose of this study was to describe how patients with allergies, asthma, or eczema perceived the preoperative skin test.’
- ‘A skin test and sputum smears for tuberculosis were negative.’
- ‘Please refer to the picture of a skin test reaction and the instructions for measuring the area of induration.’
verb[WITH OBJECT]usually as noun skin-testing
Perform a skin test on (someone).
- ‘Subjects in the BCG-vaccinated group were not skin-tested.’
skin test/ˈskin ˌtest/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.