Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A test for an immune reaction performed by applying a substance topically or injecting it into the skin.
- ‘Usually the allergist will start off with something like a skin test or a blood test.’
- ‘A skin test and sputum smears for tuberculosis were negative.’
- ‘Bilirubin levels are easily measured with a skin test or blood test.’
- ‘The cost of the preoperative skin test is minimal because the test primarily is manufactured of leftover materials.’
- ‘Another important task is to investigate perceptions among nurses who perform the preoperative skin test.’
- ‘The purpose of this study was to describe how patients with allergies, asthma, or eczema perceived the preoperative skin test.’
- ‘The third kind of skin test is called a patch test.’
- ‘The results of this study show that participants had a pragmatic view of the preoperative skin test.’
- ‘For the skin test, a reaction greater than 5 mm was considered positive.’
- ‘Allergies are diagnosed using a skin test or blood test, depending on the age and condition of the patient.’
- ‘The criteria for interpreting the reaction to the tuberculin skin test as positive are outlined in the accompanying table on page 1596.’
- ‘A chest radiograph should be obtained for high-risk children with a skin test reaction of 5 mm or more.’
- ‘Please refer to the picture of a skin test reaction and the instructions for measuring the area of induration.’
- ‘Therefore all nursing home residents with a positive skin test or an unexplained chronic cough need chest x-rays.’
- ‘The methacholine skin test may elicit a positive response in patients with cholinergic urticaria.’
- ‘These staff members received oral and written instruction and additional pictures of the preoperative skin test before the test period.’
- ‘Even if a skin test and/or a blood test shows an allergy, a child must also have symptoms to be definitively diagnosed with an allergy.’
- ‘Tuberculin skin test reactions are classified as positive or negative, with the size of the induration noted.’
- ‘In eight cases, the skin prick tests were positive, although only one serological test was in agreement with the skin test.’
- ‘Knowing the benefit of a skin test is important in making the reason for the skin test understandable.’
Perform a skin test on (someone)
- ‘Subjects in the BCG-vaccinated group were not skin-tested.’
skin test/ˈskin ˌtest/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.