One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of two lightweight poles held by a skier to assist in balance or propulsion.
- ‘To guide your movements, take your ski pole and draw a quarter circle starting at your heel and curving forward.’
- ‘Another skier made a claim after being hit by a ski pole someone dropped from a chair lift overhead.’
- ‘Walking with ski poles is even better, since you can raise your heart rate as if you were running without pounding your joints.’
- ‘In the mountains, he carries a ski pole to help him climb.’
- ‘When my ski pole sunk all the way to the hilt through bottomless muck, I realized this wasn't our day.’
- ‘I place another wand and ski across, probing with my ski pole so I don't blunder down a hidden orifice.’
- ‘As it was, they managed to rig up an intravenous drip on a ski pole, through which they administered adrenaline.’
- ‘Skiers and snowshoers should also keep control of ski poles to avoid the sled as it goes by.’
- ‘When climbing hills or snowshoeing in brushy country, use one or two ski poles to help climb or maintain balance.’
- ‘‘I haven't touched a ski pole in ten years,’ Pancho confesses on the lift.’
- ‘The Comfort heel is easier to rotate with a ski pole to change the height of the climbing post.’
- ‘We strap our skis to our packs, and McLean hands me a ski pole with a Whippet grip before we start kicking our way upward again.’
- ‘Protruding off the bow were three sets of metal ski poles, their baskets pointing outward like a bunch of flowers.’
- ‘She had with her a ski pole and a kitchen knife in her purse.’
- ‘So I dug my ski poles into the slope and tried to stop myself.’
- ‘I hastily kit up, armed with my trusty Nikon RS, dive buddy, a ski pole and a dash of fish-oil on our wetsuits for good measure.’
- ‘‘For cross country ski training, I go to the forest to walk with ski poles,’ Sauvala said.’
- ‘His latest idea to help people stay fit are ‘Nordic walking poles’ - ski poles used when walking.’
- ‘Toko will also introduce a cross country ski pole tube to protect poles while in transit.’
- ‘‘I could have reached out with my ski pole,’ Andy would say wistfully, ‘and pushed him over.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.