One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of two lightweight poles held by a skier to assist in balance or propulsion.
- ‘Toko will also introduce a cross country ski pole tube to protect poles while in transit.’
- ‘Another skier made a claim after being hit by a ski pole someone dropped from a chair lift overhead.’
- ‘In the mountains, he carries a ski pole to help him climb.’
- ‘‘I haven't touched a ski pole in ten years,’ Pancho confesses on the lift.’
- ‘When climbing hills or snowshoeing in brushy country, use one or two ski poles to help climb or maintain balance.’
- ‘When my ski pole sunk all the way to the hilt through bottomless muck, I realized this wasn't our day.’
- ‘As it was, they managed to rig up an intravenous drip on a ski pole, through which they administered adrenaline.’
- ‘‘I could have reached out with my ski pole,’ Andy would say wistfully, ‘and pushed him over.’’
- ‘I place another wand and ski across, probing with my ski pole so I don't blunder down a hidden orifice.’
- ‘The Comfort heel is easier to rotate with a ski pole to change the height of the climbing post.’
- ‘I hastily kit up, armed with my trusty Nikon RS, dive buddy, a ski pole and a dash of fish-oil on our wetsuits for good measure.’
- ‘She had with her a ski pole and a kitchen knife in her purse.’
- ‘His latest idea to help people stay fit are ‘Nordic walking poles’ - ski poles used when walking.’
- ‘To guide your movements, take your ski pole and draw a quarter circle starting at your heel and curving forward.’
- ‘We strap our skis to our packs, and McLean hands me a ski pole with a Whippet grip before we start kicking our way upward again.’
- ‘Skiers and snowshoers should also keep control of ski poles to avoid the sled as it goes by.’
- ‘So I dug my ski poles into the slope and tried to stop myself.’
- ‘Walking with ski poles is even better, since you can raise your heart rate as if you were running without pounding your joints.’
- ‘‘For cross country ski training, I go to the forest to walk with ski poles,’ Sauvala said.’
- ‘Protruding off the bow were three sets of metal ski poles, their baskets pointing outward like a bunch of flowers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.