One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A pad or book of drawing paper for sketching on.
notebook, notepad, writing pad, memo pad, jotter, tablet, block, sketch padView synonyms
- ‘Sasha was stretched out with his sketch pad, making charcoal pictures of Emily one after another.’
- ‘I pulled out my usual sandwich and my sketch pad.’
- ‘She gave a small sigh and put down her sketch pad.’
- ‘She sat on the dock and pulled out her sketch pad.’
- ‘I grabbed my sketch pad and some pencils from the glove compartment, where I always kept them, and headed to the nearest tree for shade.’
- ‘A few minutes later Mary emerged with the sketch pad opened to Cierra's latest drawing.’
- ‘But then he set aside his sketch pad and computer play and settled down to serious work.’
- ‘She picked up her sketch pad and began sketching the sunset outside the window.’
- ‘I copied everything I could, filling up my notebook and moving on to my sketch pad.’
- ‘He pulled out his sketch pad to pass the time away.’
- ‘Taking a small charcoal depiction of a bike from his sketch pad, he turned it upside down and copied it this way onto the wall.’
- ‘Her sketch pad was in her lap with many used sticks of charcoal scattered on the open paper and near her feet.’
- ‘He wrapped his free arm around her shoulders, and she watched the surrounding landscape appear on his sketch pad.’
- ‘He was a man who preferred to have a sketch pad and a couple of pencils in his pocket and to be out in the countryside and fresh air.’
- ‘Almost on impulse, she reached for her sketch pad and started to draw him.’
- ‘In a few minutes she was back, carrying my sketch pad.’
- ‘She works in the glove department of Saks Fifth Avenue, returning home to a modest apartment, a cat, a sketch pad and her oppressive loneliness.’
- ‘I sat cross legged on the floor, my sketch pad in hand.’
- ‘An artist might be effectively disabled without her sketch pad, or a physicist without her computer.’
- ‘Sophia stared down at the sketch pad, and made a mark with the charcoal stick on the paper, imitating the shadows beneath the tree.’
- 1.1 A book of drawings or literary sketches.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.