One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A style of cross-country skiing in which the skis are pointed outward and the skier alternately pushes off one and glides on the other in a motion similar to ice skating.‘in many areas skate skiing has overtaken classic skiing in popularity, but the learning curve is steep’Compare with classic skiing
- ‘Calories burned per hour inline skating, 464; Nordic (cross-country) skiing, 557; skate skiing, up to 829.’
- ‘We groom them for skate skiing, and a few trails are also tracked for diagonal stride.’
- ‘She hits the weight room twice a week to build upper-body strength for skate skiing, her new favorite winter sport.’
- ‘With 30 km groomed daily for classic and skate skiing, over 1,400 acres of varied terrain satisfies beginners through experts.’
- ‘Now, Jackrabbit's legendary trail has since linked up with numerous skiing trails, including Le Parc Linear, a 220 - kilometer rails-to-trails pathway linking a series of French-Canadian small towns, groomed for classic and skate skiing.’
- ‘Inline skating, Nordic (cross-country) skiing and skate skiing are surefire ways to create definition in your buns and legs.’
- ‘The motion of parallel cross-country skiing is an excellent butt-buster, but if you're looking for an even better load for your glutes, try skate skiing.’
- ‘From your base at the swanky Sun Mountain Lodge, you'll start with morning yoga, then hit the snow for instruction in classic and skate skiing.’
- ‘Those more inclined toward nordic kick-and-glide or skate skiing can get a workout on the Maples Nordic Loop.’
- ‘Although stride and glide skiing will get you where you want to go, skate skiing is the most efficient technique.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.