One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A revolver with six chambers.
- ‘Boots, horses, cows, range land, rifles and six-shooters… it's all in my blood.’
- ‘I try to see my biases for what they are and keep them in check, but nonetheless I confess that I have reservations about being within rifle shot of at least some of the people who might be walking about with six-shooters under their ponchos.’
- ‘His trigger finger twitches next to his six-shooter.’
- ‘He whacked Sarah on the head with the butt of his six-shooter and took off into the forest.’
- ‘What do you expect me to do, take on the whole German East Asia Brigade with my trusty six-shooter?’
- ‘Michael leapt out of bed and - grabbing his six-shooters, which he handled best - rushed outside to find four men on horseback, staring at him.’
- ‘Holster your six-shooters and strap on your spurs for a Wild West action adventure.’
- ‘She beat me at rifling, so I'm teaching her how to shoot the six-shooters.’
- ‘So in 1863 Samuel Colt invented the six-shooter - and the rest, as they say, is history.’
- ‘Facing each other, they prepare to draw their six-shooters.’
- ‘The hard hat made to look like a Stetson, faded Levi's, steel-toed cowboy boots and the staple gun shaped like a six-shooter that is strapped to his side.’
- ‘They're common six-shooters anyway, not sure what's wrong with me.’
- ‘Obviously, the world of Robin Hood is populated with swords and arrows, and not with six-shooters and sniper rifles.’
- ‘He got a pair of six-shooters and practiced everything there was to know about handling a gun - twirling, spinning, shooting, and practicing his fast draw.’
- ‘For Western fans, almost any movie with horses, six-shooters and really big hats is worth the price of admission.’
- ‘I've often observed the same ammunition fired in both pistols and revolvers, and I've seen equal or better accuracy from the six-shooter.’
- ‘You are a poncho-wearing Clint Eastwood clone who scurries about, taking cover behind a wagon or boulder, besting bad guys with your six-shooter or rifle.’
- ‘The outlaw army blasted their six-shooters at the fleeing family.’
- ‘The firepower of cannons and Gatling guns, stolen from the Army, made the extended outlaw families totally invincible to any sheriff's six-shooters.’
- ‘When I was seventeen, I worked in a London pub where all the locals would turn up on Friday nights wearing cowboy outfits, order Jack Daniels instead of their usual pint of bitter, and deposit replica six-shooters on the bar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.