Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A person who sits, especially for a portrait.
sitter, poser, subject, artist's model, photographic modelView synonyms
- ‘The identities of the sitters in the Phillips portraits have only recently been discovered.’
- ‘Later in her career she also did numerous portrait busts of distinguished sitters.’
- ‘A portrait is of course in the first instance a likeness of the sitter who commissions it.’
- ‘The scrutinizing artist and his exposed sitters are all committed to the inert artifact that will outlive them: a photograph.’
- ‘Rembrandt's portraits of individual sitters are similarly energetic, emphasizing faces, hands, and dynamic silhouettes at the expense of costumes and settings.’
- ‘It had long been accepted practice in portrait painting to depict sitters with prized possessions appropriate to their status and station in life.’
- ‘He always portrayed his sitter as a distinct individual rather than a representative of his or her particular group.’
- ‘The sitter, presumably, was desirous of being portrayed and perhaps curious to see how she would be perceived by a celebrated professional.’
- ‘The portrait conveyed the casual and relaxing quality of the sitter's personality, which is important in this work.’
- ‘Both sitter and artist would also have in mind the person who commissioned the portrait and for whose eyes it was intended.’
- ‘In the portraits, sitters appear shorn of pretense and disguise.’
- ‘His style shows strong characterisation in his sitters and an exquisite delineation of costume and jewellery.’
- ‘The paintings exhibit strong physical and emotional energy, derived from the direct encounter between artist and sitter in the studio.’
- 1.1A hen sitting on eggs.
2[usually in combination] A person who looks after children, pets, or a house while the parents or owners are away.‘a house-sitter’
- ‘House sitters are the best thing you can do with regards to your pets.’
- ‘The patient sought the company of his grandchildren and became their after school sitter.’
- ‘Can the sitter leave the house with the children?’
- ‘Word of mouth referral is a common way to find a pet sitter.’
- ‘Some guy wanted his lawn mowed, another wanted help painting his house, and some woman wanted a cat sitter.’
- ‘They hire a baby sitter and go together.’
- ‘The pet store owners and staff may know of a great pet sitter.’
- ‘While babysitting is legal at any age, parents should carefully assess a sitter younger than sixteen.’
- ‘Is it a crime to hire a baby sitter anymore?’
- ‘You can take them to a boarding kennel or you can hire a pet sitter.’
- ‘Response to the business, both from pet owners and dog sitters, was so good that she was encouraged to start offering franchises in October 2002.’
- ‘She and Sam had three children under the age of five and another on the way, and if she were to work nights and he days, the couple could care for the children without hiring a sitter.’
- ‘The presence of the house sitter is the number one burglar deterrent.’
- ‘A pet sitter is there to provide comfort, help, and care for your dog while you are away.’
- ‘You can find a pet sitter through a number of means.’
- ‘The company specializes in helping pet sitters and pet owners connect to each other.’
- ‘We'll be gone for 10 days, and our two sons, ages 13 and 15, are begging us not to move a grown-up into the house as a sitter.’
- ‘The only alternative left was to leave Fluffy at home and have a pet sitter come into our house.’
- ‘The safest way to locate a house sitter is to go through a house sitting directory.’
- ‘Today my parents were out and I had a sitter watching over me.’
- 2.1A person who provides care and companionship for people who are ill.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.