Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fast-growing spruce tree of the northern Pacific coast of North America, widely cultivated in Britain for its strong lightweight timber.
- ‘While Sitka spruce can withstand the ravages inflicted by deer, other species are not so hardy.’
- ‘When the explorers reached the Northern Rockies and the Pacific Northwest, they found alien forests of Sitka spruce, Douglas fir, and other conifers instead of the familiar broadleaf woods of the East.’
- ‘The Octopus Tree, an ancient Sitka spruce with massive branches that rise up around a low central trunk like the arms of a candelabra, is a five-minute walk from the parking lot.’
- ‘The forests of the Pacific Northwest and northern California are known for giant ancient trees such as Sitka spruce and sequoia (redwoods).’
- ‘Forests of mostly Sitka and Norway spruce are felled.’
- ‘Ancient giants - Douglas fir, Sitka spruce, red and yellow western cedar - took root long before Columbus arrived in North America and tower a hundred metres skyward.’
- ‘The Sitka spruce were thriving in the wet climates, many of their branches twisted making the forest mysterious and eerie.’
- ‘The plantation consists of Norway and Sitka spruce and felling is due to begin in 2 years time.’
- ‘Closer to the sea, where the terrain is smoother, forests of Sitka spruce and western hemlock have developed.’
- ‘With towering Sitka spruce surrounding us and a soft rain beginning to fall, we unloaded our gear bags.’
- ‘It can take a crop of Sitka spruce approximately 35 years to reach maturity.’
- ‘The spokesman said that the relative dominance of the Sitka spruce will decrease as other species are planted.’
Late 19th century: named after Sitka, a town in Alaska.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.