One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A physical exercise designed to strengthen the abdominal muscles, in which a person sits up from a supine position without using the arms for leverage.
- ‘We may do push-ups and sit-ups and weight training, but we don't do it all day long.’
- ‘He began working on his body with endless push-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups.’
- ‘I did 300 sit-ups at the gym this evening, which is a personal record.’
- ‘When not on the bar, we practice drills on the ground, as well as doing exercises to build up essential muscles, such as sit-ups, press-ups and tricep push-ups.’
- ‘She's punishing herself through her body, and she's punishing herself with sit-ups.’
- ‘Besides the surfing I'll do a little running, lots of sit-ups and the occasional workout at the gym.’
- ‘The truth is, bodybuilders like you are no strangers to sit-ups, crunches, and the like.’
- ‘No matter how many sit-ups I did, my stomach was never flat.’
- ‘Now 53, he stays in shape by jogging and doing push-ups and sit-ups.’
- ‘I do put all my clients on a sit-up routine to strengthen the abdominal area.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.