One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in a polygamous society) any of the women married to the same man.‘her mother and her sister wives live in different homes’
- ‘A woman who claims her husband ruined their marriage by bringing in another sister wife will be leading demonstrators at the trial of a polygamist leader this month.’
- ‘Occasionally, one wife will act as midwife and help deliver their sister wife's baby.’
- ‘Vicky, a Salt Lake City woman and former sister wife, said religious doctrine plays a huge role in keeping women in polygamous relationships.’
- ‘It would be hard to imagine the man actually being the boss in a house of sister wives.’
- ‘Often, jealous older wives make life hell for their sister wives.’
- ‘They are not only sister wives; they are sisters married to the same man.’
- ‘She pestered her husband to take Elizabeth as a sister wife.’
- ‘Carmen and her kids shared a home with one or more of the sister wives and their children.’
- ‘Brown has a civil marriage with only one of his wives; the rest are sister wives, not formally wedded.’
- ‘Ruth is a sister wife to Barlow and mother of six who has been in Canada 11 years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.