One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large aquatic plant-eating mammal of the order "Sirenia", such as a manatee or dugong.
- ‘The remaining sirenians, are seriously threatened by hunting, habitat degradation, and in the case of manatees, collisions with boats in the shallow coastal areas they prefer.’
- ‘To understand isotopic variation in Florida sirenians, we selected four teeth for serial sampling.’
- ‘All living sirenians are found in warm tropical and subtropical waters.’
- ‘Modern sirenians are large, docile, aquatic herbivores.’
Relating to or denoting sirenians.
- ‘The hyrax - elephant - sirenian core is well-accepted on morphological grounds.’
- ‘Corystosiren is a late-surviving dugong at a time when sirenian fossils are exceedingly rare in Florida.’
- ‘This may have supported a strong, fleshy lip with which Thalassocnus grazed seagrass or kelp, much like manatees and their sirenian relatives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.